Beauty in the Broken

What does the word fragile mean to you?

The dictionary defines it as, “breakable, weak, thin, vulnerable, flimsy, unsubstantial, easily destroyed or not strong.”

Those words usually bring about images of glass, china and other delicate objects. Recently I have been challenged with the fragile nature of our heart and spirit as I have walked with a dear friend while she wrestled with deep hurts.

In our culture Fragility is generally looked at as weakness. We tend to value strength rather than tenderness.

There are times in life when we face situations and obstacles and are able to handle what life throws at us with ease and grace.
And then there are times when the assaults are relentless, deeply personal and cut to the quick of our heart and soul.

We are left feeling battered, beaten, bloody and broken. It is in these times of deep hurt that we find ourselves fragile and vulnerable.

When I am hurting, vulnerable and feeling exposed, what I want is to wrap myself in bubble wrap to avoid the jostling and jarring of life, love and relationships.

I want to be insulated and protected from all possible hurt and humiliation, but like a Ming Vase or Waterford crystal, we were not created to remain wrapped in bubble wrap and stored on a shelf.

God created us to be held and put on display for His purpose and glory.

Sometimes while on display we get knocked over. We get chipped, dented, dirty and broken. Our hearts get manhandled and misused.

We get hurt in relationships where we once trusted another with our heart.
We experience abuse, grief, illness, depression and humiliation.

We want to run and hide. We self medicate, we deny, we place blame and we try desperately not to let others see us in this fragile state.

There is however no shame in being fragile, broken or tender.

Jesus came to heal the broken hearted, He came to heal the sick and the lame. He came to offer life and life eternal.

The question is, are we willing to let Him have His way with our heart?

When we are broken, shattered and pieces are missing from our heart, it is hard to trust and believe that God can restore us.

He can and will restore our faith in Him, ourselves and in others if we admit we are fragile and broken…for there is beauty in the broken.

Proverbs 4:23
Guard your heart always, for it is the wellspring of Life.

12 thoughts on “Beauty in the Broken

1. Kathryn Champion says:

This (Proverbs 4:23) must REALLY be a message God is wanting to get out to us at this time. My Pastor just finished a series of sermons on this and just the other day I saw someone mention on facebook that they needed to be better at doing this (and listed this same verse) I just LOVE how He has so many on the ‘same page’ even when they don’t realize it 🙂

Thanks for stopping by Kathryn. It’s funny how there can be a common theme that appears unconnected. I think sometimes once our heart starts to pay attention we begin to see the connection everywhere we go. Hope you have a great weekend!

2. Dawn Aldrich says:

Beautiful post, Karen. The key is our willingness to let Jesus into our brokenness. He never forces himself upon us. He waits patiently to be invited, like a gentleman.

Hi Dawn – thank you for your kind encouragement. I love the picture of God being gentleman with us. He courts us, and woo’s us and waits for us…thanks for that!

3. Unity Faith says:

Beautiful post that I totally relate to. But as Dawn said we have to be willing to let Him into our brokeness. But also I can truly say this I have ask God to break me to draw me closer to Him and HOW AMAZING that experience was, words enugh can not describe it. Thank you for allowing God to us your talents and flow through you.

Thank you Unity…I am so excited to hear you say that your experience of being broken drew you closer TO Gods heart. He is refining you to reflect the image of His glory…keep seeking HIm and He will draw you near!

4. Dena says:

Thank You Karen! This really touched my heart!
    Not long ago, I lost so many people (8) and a pet, to death in a very short amount of time, my parents moved far away, then my dad got cancer, the love of my life moved back to Maine, and I fell and hurt my back and lost my memory for a good amount of time, and everything that was safe and familiar in my world was gone. Life is fragile, people take it for granted. What seems like a solid life and self, is like a house of sticks that can fall at any time. When you’re down on your knees asking God why, you realize that God is the only one who will always be there for you. The only stability of this life, and the only hope! Thanks be to God!!

Dena,

Thanks for sharing your story with me. I am sorry that you have endured such great hurt and loss. Through my own experiences of pain I have learned that when I come to the end of myself is when I fully cling to the promises of God. Keep clinging to Him, He won’t let go of you!

Thanks Cindy – I always appreciate your feedback! Glad you were able to finally get access to my blog today – don’t know what happened – I guess they did site maintenance but I was not made aware that it would be down. Have a great weekend!